Wednesday, December 3, 2008

HBO get off your ass and pick up The Walking Dead

As far as I'm concerned The Walking Dead is straight up 100% crack cocaine. My good friend Ryan, the writer of our comic book, Addicts (addictscomic.com, plug, plug) turned me on to it a ways back and my life has been screwed up ever since. I have been late to work because of reading this book. This series is the Magnum Opus of writer Robert Kirkman and has an underlying psychological significance I have only recently began to deal with. The message: we love stories of misery. I have never read so many terrors overcoming a group of characters in my life of reading. I have to continue with it just to see how much worse things can get in one damn month.

It seems to me a perfect fit for HBO to start an ongoing series with The Walking Dead. Now that the Soprano's is dead and gone there is a tremendous void to fill in their weekend programing. We know by that show's success that audiences are wont for something darker and grittier. But with a bit of intelligence to it. Really, is there anything better than watching zombies devour the living after your own family dinner? I think not.

I love the idea of listening to the conversations at the water cooler the following Monday. "Hey, Ralph, did you see The Walking Dead this weekend?"

"Sure did. Sucked that guy's eye right out of his head, didn't they?"

"Did you see the part where they had to hack the guy's leg off?"

"Dude, that was so sick!"

Sick being good.
Move quickly, HBO, before Showtime comes along and scoops you on this one.

1 comment:

Beth Cope said...

I am just lending my support to my brother. It is not likely that I will watch "The Walking Dead" because I have a aversion to watching graphic violence (now is the time to slap yourself in the head and say to yourself "how in the world are they related!), but Monty's wit and commentary is worth a read and a chuckle. For what it is worth HBO, you should listen to my bro's advice.