Friday, December 5, 2008

The Green Lantern



I'm going to try and not over gush on this film as I have spent way to much of my daily life fantasizing about it as it is.. I know pre-production has begun and already I've been hearing things through the grapevine that make me cringe with horror. An example would be I have heard they are going the tight spandex look which is just bad memories of eighties attempts at comic book film making. Personally, I would have gone with a lightweight spacesuit approach. I had envisioned it as a sort of moisture suit from Dune all black with green details.

Also we must act as a single voice hear and scream at the top of our lungs, NO MASKS!!!! Replace the masks with intense green glowing eyes. How are we going to take all of those aliens seriously running around in 40's style adventure masks. Defenders of the galaxy do not need secret identities.

Also, I would cut back on the power of the rings in the first film, assuming it is decent enough to spawn sequels. They should have a set amount of effects, shields, lasers, life support, flight and maybe a few others. As a plot device, I would have Hal Jordan discover the actual, true power of the ring and as the greatest Lantern of all time, teaches the other Lanterns how to weild the massive energy. This would create some cool friction between Hal and Kilowog (trainer of the Lanterns) at first until Kilowog comes around and discovers he is extremely powerful with this new ability.

I have not been particular on the lead role in this film as of yet, nothing really great has come to me.But I think that as far as story line is concerned, Sinestro should be a Lantern at the beginning of the film a should have betrayed them by the end. My pick for Sinestro= Sean Gullette. He is the main character, Maximillian, in Daren Aronofsky's feature "Pi." Check out his photos on imdb.com and see what you think.

The way I see it, The Green Lantern has the potential to be Star Wars for a new generation. and I truly hope it is taken that seriously. We need more quality fantasy and science fiction in the world. No to mention DC needs another hit besides Batman pulling their asses out of the fire eveycouple of years.

I will definately be posting more on this subject so keep an eye out.

No comments: